Limerick Southern Ring Road (Limerick Tunnel)
- 9.8km of Dual Carriageway and 2.3km of Single Carriageway
- 675m immersed tube tunnel under the River Shannon
- 750m Causeway across Bunlicky Lake
- 11 Bridges, 6 Underpasses and 8 Culverts
- 2 Toll Plazas and associated facilities
Contract Value :
€400 Million (Direct Route Overall Value)
Contract Type :
Public Private Partnership (PPP)
National Roads Authority
August 2006 - September 2010
The Limerick Tunnel PPP Project was awarded to the Direct Route Consortium in August 2006. Roadbridge is a member of this consortium and is presently undertaking works as a partner subcontractor.
The Limerick Tunnel project consisted of the construction of an immersed tube tunnel measuring 675m in length. The tube consists of two bores, for Southbound and Northbound traffic. Five tunnel units were cast, floated out and sunk into a pre-dredged channel. The tunnel is completed by cut and covers sections at each end and approach ramps. The project was opened to the public three months ahead of schedule.